Search

Teaching Adjectives with SHOW & TELL

Today I'm going to share with you one of my favorite lessons to teach!
It's the HOOK I use to begin our unit on adjectives.
I gather my kiddos on the carpet, and show them my brown paper bag.  I tell them that I'm going to give them CLUES about what is inside the bag, and they get to guess what they think it is.  

Round 1...
Round, small, juicy, soft, delicious, sweet, healthy, sticky, fruity, orange

What is it!?!
A TANGERINE!  
(Almost everybody will guess orange.  Tricky teacher!)  :)  

We begin talking about how all of the clues I gave are words that DESCRIBE the tangerine.  The words describe how the mystery item looks, smells, feels, and tastes.  

Time for Round 2...
Mouthwatering, sweet, small, yummy, sticky, rectangular, pink, stretchy, flavorful, chewy
What is it!?! 
BUBBLE GUM  

At this point, the kids are bouncing around with excitement.  Then I tell them the best part... they get a turn!  Over the next week, I'll send home a brown paper bag with each student.  The directions are stapled to the paper bag so the parents know exactly what is going on.  It's important that the child choose something that fits inside the bag, and something that they can describe using only adjectives. 
This activity is so fun & exciting for the students.  They love getting a turn to "show & tell," and they love guessing what is inside their friends' bags!  You can snag the printable to staple on the bag here.  I've also included some fun adjective activities as well.

3 comments

  1. This is such a fun idea!! I can't wait to do this with my kiddos.

    I just found your blog and I love it! I'll be checking it out again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute, hands-on idea. You are a fun teacher. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete