Search

Secret Signals...Hand Signal Signs

Do you use "secret hand signals" in your classroom?  

My kiddos love learning and using my secret hand signals during the first week of school.  It's our special way of communicating.  The best part is it cuts down on unnecessary interruptions when I'm teaching.  When I started using hand signals, the amount of blurting out decreased significantly.

I made these in two different designs: Chalkboard & Blue/Green.  Which do you like best?  
There are so many ways you could display your hand signal signs.  You could put them on a bulletin board or use magnets and stick them on your board.  
I thought it would be fun to hang them vertically on a piece of ribbon.  
I had this black and white checkered ribbon, but then I found this adorable white burlap ribbon in the Dollar Spot at Target.  I can't decide which one I like best...
During the first week of school, it's essential to go over your secret signals at least one zillion times.  We go over all of the meanings and when you might use them.  I have the kiddos practice holding up their fingers to show me each signal.  
During the second week of school, as a refresher, I have the students trace their hands on a piece of card stock.  They cut it out, and we practice the secret signals using the paper hand.  It's just a silly way to review!  The girls LOVE decorating the nails on their paper hand.  :)  
I have to share this "epic fail" moment.  I thought it would be so cute to string the signs along a turquoise rope, and hang it like a banner or bunting.  Check out how awful it turned out. Haha.  
I hope your kiddos enjoy communicating with these nonverbal "secret" signals as much as mine do! 

No comments

Post a Comment